A while back I stumbled upon Ultralight Joe’s Moose Goo recipe and finally decided to give it a try.
I made four different kinds of “Moose Goo”. The original recipe is as follows (from Ultralight Joe):
- 2 parts honey
- 2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal!)
- 1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
- Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
- Pack into Coghlan’s Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.
Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
- 8 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp corn flour
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 1320 calories
- 172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
- 24g protein
- 38g fat (That’s a high proportion of fat, but what the heck…)
Having almond butter and whole wheat on hand, I mixed it up. I figured while I was at it, I’d add in a few extra changes.
All Moose Goo was made with 2 parts honey and one part whole wheat flour. I then added one part of the third ingredient (almond butter, nutella, etc.)
During my (very fancy) tasting I was surprised to find that I liked the almond butter and jelly one the best. The regular almond butter seemed a little too gritty while the nutella variety was a little too thick and lost some of the nutella flavor I love. I was also a fan of the almond butter and chocolate whey protein.
Have you made your own Moose Goo? Let me know how you liked it in the comments section!
Last modified: November 28, 2014